The world of slideshow makers has come a long way since the software’s inception. There are a ton of easy-to-use options in 2020. This page explores some of our favorites. We cover premium options with all the bells and whistles, as well as some cheap and cheerful programs.
Read on to find the best slideshow maker for your needs.
10 Best Slideshow Maker Apps
All of the options below are simple to use with intuitive drag and drop controls, great editing tools and a wide range of features. We think they’re the best slideshow makers out there.
1. Icecream Slideshow Maker
This slideshow maker is compatible with Windows XP and above. You should be able to get up and running no matter what PC you’re using.
There’s some flexibility here in terms of price; both a free and premium version are available. You don’t have to be a tech wizard to create a slideshow with this software. There’s a long list of awesome effects, transitions, animated text options and other features that are just a click away.
Icecream slideshow maker allows you to quickly add music files to your videos. A handy playlist is automatically generated for each slideshow. There’s a wide range of special features that help you create stunning slideshows for your projects:
- Resume project. This is a “history” of all your unfinished work. It allows you to seamlessly resume where you left off.
- Slideshows in 4k. Export slideshows in super high resolution.
- A wide range of formats. Projects can be exported in MP4, AVI, MOV or WEBM. A great feature if you share a lot of work across multiple platforms like social media, email and conferencing software.
- Quickly burn to DVD or CD. Physical copies of your work can be made hassle-free.
- Free version available with limited resolution and max image numbers.
- Pro version for a one-time fee of $26. 40% discounts are often available.
- Simple to use, drag and drop features.
- Super-quick sharing options for social media
- The “resume project” feature is handy.
- The free version is limited to 10 photos per slideshow.
Check it out here.
2. PhotoStage Slideshow Maker
This is one of the best slideshow makers out there. Unsurprisingly, it’s easy to use, with loads of useful editing tools. The transitions on this slideshow video editor are super-slick and they couldn’t be simpler to add to your project. This isn’t the cheapest option on our list, but there are two tiers that can accommodate users with different needs.
The home edition allows you to create great looking slideshows, but omits the ability to insert video clips. The pro edition has all of your favorite transition effects, video editing tools and music effects. It’s only possible to add video clips if you’re using the pro edition. There is no free option for this software.
The features on offer include:
- Brilliant image optimization. Edit photos in as much detail as you’d like.
- Easy sharing options. Quickly export your slideshows to YouTube, social media and elsewhere.
- Ready-made themes. Create slideshows effortlessly with the super-simple built-in themes.
- Great music options. It’s simple to add audio files and effects for effective background music.
- Speedy DVD burning. Want to make a video slideshow that you can store on a DVD? This is a great option.
- Home edition (no video files): $50
- Pro edition: $70
- 50% discounts are regularly available
- The video editor and image optimization are great.
- The transition effects are slick and easy to add.
- Available on a huge range of platforms from PC, to Mac, iOS, Android and even Kindle!
Check it out here.
3. Photostory Deluxe
Want to create beautiful slideshows that tell a story with your photos and videos? Photostory Deluxe is one of the best slideshow makers available in 2020. The effects, templates and control features are all fantastic. This is an impressive piece of editing software.
This slideshow maker is available for Windows 8 and above. This might be the best photo slideshow maker for those who take a lot of high-resolution shots. The processing and editing features handle larger file formats very well.
- Add text with slick fonts and themes. Title and annotate your images to perfection.
- Simple music editing. The music effects and options are easy to add and tweak.
- Speedy file burning. Export your video to DVD, CD or even Blu ray.
- Free trial available
- $70 one time purchase
- The transition effects are professional looking and easy to use
- Perhaps the best slideshow maker for high-resolution shots
- Quick, drag and drop controls
- You’ll need a newer system to keep up with this software’s requirements
4. Movavi Slideshow Maker
This slideshow creator is all about keeping your precious moments special forever. It helps you create a professional looking video slideshow that elevates your images and video files. Integration with third-party platforms like Google Drive and Facebook is seamless. It’s super quick to share your creation on social media.
Movavi’s software is available on both PC and Mac. This is a photo slideshow maker that almost anyone could use. The video editing controls and overall UI are remarkably simple and easy to understand. This is perhaps the best slideshow maker for those unfamiliar with video editing or slideshow maker software.
- Slideshow wizard. Use the wizard for best-in-class support every step of the way.
- Stunning templates. Add a template to your videos and photos for great results.
- Artistic filters. Use the filter software to make your images pop.
- $44.95 a year billed annually
- $84.95 to buy permanently
- This is the best photo slideshow software for the non-tech-savvy
- The filter effects really make images stand out
- Opens up and gets going with minimal lag
- Video exports can take a while
Previous users of ProShow gold will feel right at home here. Since ProShow was discontinued in early 2020, Photopia has fast become a viable replacement. This slideshow program makes it easy to create stunning slideshows. There are some unique video and photo editing options here that make the Photopia suite stand out:
- Layered editing. Animate multiple videos and images together for a layered effect.
- Shapes. Edit your images with over 100 different shapes.
- Caption slices. Add text with sliced and unique animations.
- Video backgrounds. Use a video as the background of your slideshow.
- Photopia Director (full suite): $24.95 per month/ $249.95 per year
- Photopia Creator (home edition): $9.95 per month/ $99.95 per year
- A slew of unique features like shapes and caption slices
- The software is optimized to take advantage of the full power of your PC
- Available for both Windows and PC
- The monthly cost for Photopia Director is steep.
This is a free slideshow maker with optional premium versions. As a slideshow creator, Animoto is designed to drive traffic and create new sales for your business with a suite of video, slideshow and audio editing solutions. It’s quick and simple to create stunning video presentations with this tool.
This is the best slideshow maker on our list for businesses.
- Versatile templates. Dynamic templates that adapt to your projects.
- Slick UI. Some free slideshow makers have disappointing UXs. Animoto’s is professional and easy to use.
- Stock Assets. Premium users get access to millions of stock images and videos.
- Free Option
- Professional Program: $30 per month
- Team Program: $54 per month
- Business-driven design
- Slick and easy-to-use UI
- Free slideshow maker!
- The free slideshow maker adds Animoto branding to your products
Slydely describes itself as a “visual content creation platform”. Their purpose is to revolutionize businesses by making it easy to make a slideshow that shines. This is another free slideshow maker with a great UI and simple controls. Slideshows can be set to either public or private and are straightforward to share via e-mail, social media or other means.
- Social sharing options. Your “Slydelys” can be shared online with other users.
- Simple tools. The controls and options and super quick to learn.
- Speedy and responsive UI
- Completely free
- Customer support can be slow to respond to queries
Kizoa is an online slideshow, video editor and movie maker. The basic plan is completely free to use and can make projects up to one minute long. The variety of options with Kizoa means there’s something for almost everyone. Their photo slideshow maker has controls geared towards students, businesses, hobbyists, families and professionals.
Your video files and photos can be quickly added to the dashboard and brought together in a matter of minutes. Add text, effects, transitions and more. There’s plenty to sink your teeth into here:
- Lightweight. This program is comparatively low-profile and isn’t power hungry.
- Video templates. Hundreds of templates designed specifically for video.
- Dashboard organization. Your projects can be organized as you see fit.
- Basic version: free
- Starter version: $29.99 one-off payment
- Creator version: $49.99 one-off payment
- Professional version: $99.99 one-off payment
- Business version: $299.99 one-off payment
- A slew of options to meet practically all casual and professional requirements
- Low-profile design
- Great video templates
- 4k video is only available on the expensive business version
This is probably the best photo slideshow maker we’ve seen on iOS. It’s a remarkably powerful slideshow maker in a portable format. Quickly make a slideshow with music, montages, stickers, effects and more. Both premium and free options are available. This slideshow software can produce projects up to 30 minutes long.
If you’re looking for a photo slideshow maker that you can take anywhere, give PicPlayPost a try.
- Fun stickers. Add stickers and emojis to your slideshow.
- Montages. Even some desktop photo slideshow makers can’t make montages this slick.
- Deep edit. Tweak your photos like a pro with filters, settings and adjustments
- Basic: Free
- Premium: $6.99
- Everything pack: $24.99
- Regular bonus packs and extras for an additional fee.
10. CyberLink PhotoDirector 12
If you’re a creator who needs a photo slideshow maker for work, this might be the best. The UI and controls can be a little overwhelming at first, but they’re powerful once you get the hang of them. Create a stunning slideshow with music, headings, overlays, text and transitions.
The built-in editor can crop, tweak backgrounds and elevate your projects to another level. Depending on the plan you choose, you’ll have access to a vast library of stock videos and images. In professional contexts, this can save you loads of time.
New assets for templates, transitions and effects are added monthly, so there’s always something to keep your projects fresh. This slideshow software comes with a powerful AI tool that’s designed to do a lot of the heavy lifting for you. Give it a few pointers and it does the rest. Not many photo slideshow makers can boast this level of intelligence!
- Best-in-class visual effects. The filters and tweaks available for photos are some of the best we’ve seen.
- Unique animations. There are animations on this program that we’ve never encountered before.
- Universal. Available for PC, Mac, Android and iOS.
- Ultra package: $79.99
- 365 package: $3.67 a month
- Director suite 365 package: $8.67 a month
- Powerful AI tools
- Truly unique effects and animations
- Available of a variety of platforms
- The pricing structures are a little overwhelming
Things to Watch Out For in Slideshow Makers
When looking for a good photo slideshow maker, look out for the following:
- Ease-of-use. There are so many options out there that are super simple. Don’t waste your time with software that’s needlessly complicated.
- Affordability. This will depend on your specific needs, but be sure to use options that fit your budget.
- Photo limits. Be aware that some tools will limit the number of photos you can upload.
- File size restrictions. Some solutions will restrict how large each project can be unless you pay.
- Annoying brand overlays. Some free options will brand your project with their logo. This can be completely fine for personal use, but in a professional context, it’s best to look elsewhere.
The amount of choice out there for great slideshow makers is wonderful. It feels amazing to share your work with the world. One of the most enjoyable ways to do that is to celebrate your photography with a slideshow. For businesses and brands, a good slideshow can significantly boost traffic and drive new sales, so It’s important to use the right tool.
We’re confident that if you make a slideshow using any of the recommendations on this list, you’ll be happy. Have a think about what you need your software to be capable of. There’s no point subscribing to an expensive monthly service if you’re just sharing family snaps.
Whichever choice you go with, we hope you have fun making your projects!