As a mom, you undoubtedly have specific requirements where photography is concerned. After all, you will be taking lots of photographs of your family, which is quite a different ballgame compared to wildlife and nature photographs. Therefore, the best cameras for moms will be considerably different than those used by other photographers.
Are you still searching for the best cameras for moms? Looking for the best digital cameras or something more traditional? Check out our convenient guide to find the best cameras for family photography!
Which Camera Is Best For Family Photography?
There are a couple of cameras that could be a great choice for family photography, and are automatically a great camera for moms. But what are some of the main options to look at and their benefits.
The mirrorless camera should be a consideration. While they used to be bigger than the average DSLR camera, the latest mirrorless camera models are actually more compact. With them, you can take better photos without lugging around a bulky new camera.
It also needs to be said that this kind of camera is considerably lighter and simpler to operate than other models. Even though it is a compact camera, it can still provide additional features such as image stabilization depending on the model you purchase.
Finally, some moms want their new camera to be more discrete, as some children do not like their photograph being taken. Fortunately, this kind of camera is quieter than most, making it much easier to shoot some photos without being spotted.
The DSLR is a solid choice for almost every photographer. One of the main advantages of this kind of camera is the electronic viewfinder, which enables you to see the photos you are about to take in real time. Cameras that do not have this function can have a delay, and this could cause you to miss some spectacular shots.
Moms who are out and about and want to take photos also pay a lot of attention to the battery of their camera. Fortunately, this is something you do not have to worry about with DSLR cameras, as they contain more powerful batteries.
Speed is also important when moms take family photographs, especially with young children who cannot sit still for a family photo. Most DSLR cameras are much faster than mirrorless options, ensuring you never miss a good image again!
What Camera Takes The Best Pictures?
The Canon EOS R is one of the most advanced cameras out there that enables you to take better photos, even in environments with low light. The camera is packed with a bunch of features too; this ranges from image stabilization to an OLED viewfinder, autofocus, and USB charging capabilities. While the Canon EOS R may not be the best digital camera for beginners, it should be a serious consideration for moms who have a lot of experience in photography.
What Is A Good Camera For A Beginner Photographer?
Moms who are just starting out in photography should choose a camera that caters to beginners; this may include a camera with helpful features such as image stabilization. While you could choose an affordable mirrorless option to start, there are some benefits to certain DSLR cameras for beginners.
One of the options for moms is the Nikon D3500. It is also a camera with video, so you can snap some photos as well as video when you choose this particular option as your first beginner camera.
We must mention that this camera is great for beginners, as it has some point and shoot functionality, there are many other features that make this camera a good choice for experienced photographers too. One of these features is the 24.2 megapixel APS-C sensor, ensuring outstanding image quality even for beginner photos.
The battery life of the Nikon D3500 is pretty outstanding too, which ensures your battery life can last throughout lengthy road trips or other special occasions where you want to shoot some photos. In addition to the outstanding battery life, the Nikon D3500 also comes with a zoom lens that will leave you baffled, especially for the affordable price associated with all these features.
Of course, the Nikon D3500 does have some limitations too, but compare them to some of the best cameras from Canon with similar features and you will immediately see the value of it.
- A DSLR that's as easy to use as a point and shoot camera
- Compact, comfortable design that's great for travel and special events
- Image sensor that's 15x larger than those used in typical smartphones for sharper, clearer pictures
- Works with Nikon’s snap bridge app for sharing photos with a compatible smartphone or tablet
- 1080p full hd videos with monaural sound at the touch of a button. Bluetooth version 4.1
What Is The Best Camera For Baby Photography?
Many parents do not realise that some cameras are actually designed with that purpose in mind. There are countless camera brands that create their camera with baby photography in mind, yet the one that trumps them all is the Canon 5D Mark III.
The Canon 5D Mark III is known for its extensive battery life, but this is not the main reason why this camera is recommended for newborn photography. In fact, image quality is superior with the Canon 5D Mark III, as it is designed to use indoors with a high ISO. It also comes with a silent shutter, which means your baby will not get disturbed if you decide to use your camera and shoot some photos that will last a lifetime.
Other Noteworthy Cameras For Parents
We have mentioned some great cameras for parents and family photography already, but there are many others that need mentioning. After all, cameras are never a one-size-fits all. If you are concerned about image quality and want the best camera that fits your requirements perfectly, we suggest having a quick gander at the following options too.
1. Sony Alpha A7III
The Sony Alpha A7III has become a favorite among enthusiasts, but even professionals will take photos with this camera from time to time. The reason for that is the numerous features associated with this camera, which in turn prove useful for family photography specifically.
Parents will use a Sony Alpha A7III when they are looking for convenience as well as good image quality. The camera does not weigh a lot and is equipped with a decent 24.3 megapixel with reverse illumination. It also has an autofocus for taking photos as well as taking video, which is one of the features that can prove useful for newborn photography.
While this is one of the best cameras for newborn photography, we do need to mention that turning the camera on can require a little effort. There is also limited functionality on the touch screen, although some parents prefer this simplicity for their camera.
- Advanced 24.2MP BSI full frame Image Sensor w/ 1.8X readout speed
- 15 stop dynamic range, 14 bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800. Compatible with Sony E mount lenses. Can be connected via Bluetooth with smartphones featuring (as of the date of release)- Android (Android 5.0 or later, Bluetooth 4.0 or later), iOS (Bluetooth 4.0 or later)
- Up to 10fps silent or mechanical shutter with AE/AF tracking. Battery life (Still Images): Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor), battery life (Movie, continuous recording): Approx. 200 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 210 min (LCD monitor)
- 693 phase detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93 percent image coverage. Focus sensor: Exmor R CMOS sensor
- In the box: Rechargeable battery (NP FZ100), AC adapter (AC UUD12), shoulder strap, body cap, Accessory shoe cap, Eyepiece cup, Micro USB cable. Metering type: 1200 zone evaluative metering
2. FujiFilm X-T30
When you want to use a camera that feels a little retro, the FujiFilm X-T30 may be the camera you are looking for. Don’t let the retro feature fool you though, as this camera comes with a good zoom lens and has outstanding indoor shooting compatibility.
One of the things that stands out most about the FujiFilm X-T30 is its compact size. It is small and convenient, enabling you to easily put it in your pocket or another small storage location. Still, its small size does not have a negative influence on the quality of the photographs you receive.
We must also mention that the FujiFilm X-T30 has some outstanding focussing capabilities. There is also a great touch-tilt LCD, allowing parents to take precious photographs at difficult angles. What more could you want?
- Advanced Image Sensor Technology: The 26.1MP BSI APS-C X-Trans CMOS 4 image sensor and X-Processor 4 quad-core CPU combination provide accurate AF and Face Detection for moving subjects when capturing either high-resolution stills or recording 4K video
- Accurate Auto-Focus Tracking and Face Detection: he new X-Processor 4 Quad Core-CPU offers fast and accurate face-detection for moving people. Additionally, eye-detection AF now works in AF-C mode, which results in accurate focus-tracking for moving portrait subjects. The low-light limit for phase detection AF has been expanded even more from the conventional +0.5EV to -3EV, to allow for operation in a wide range of lighting scenarios
- Superior video and image effects: The ex-t30 offers the ability to record 4K video at 30 frames per second or capture of 120 frames per second at 1080P to create super slow motion effects. Filmmakers needing extreme color fidelity can record 10-bit, 4: 2: 2 Color through the camera’s HDMI port
- Intuitive Design with Comfortable Controls: Offers 3. 0-inch touch LCD with 2-way tilting and improved touch screen to capture images efficiently in challenging situations. Provides advanced SR Auto mode - easily activated with a lever - to automatically choose the optimum shooting settings for a given scene out of the 58 presets
- Next-Gen Wireless Connectivity: Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth V.4.2 offer digital communication with the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote app to wirelessly control the camera or share images to smart devices
3. Olympus E-M10 III
Olympus has some true gems in their camera range, so it is no surprise that many professional photographers eventually use Olympus cameras as their go-to photography equipment. But, why should you choose the Olympus E-M10 III as a parent?
Well, the Olympus E-M10 III is one of the most affordable models in this overview. It also has a stabilization that rivals some of the more expensive models and can be enhanced with an almost limited number of interchangeable optics.
When you use the Olympus E-M10 III, you can also count on 4K video, as this camera allows you to take 4K video with the greatest of ease. It is also a great option for beginners, as there is only a minimum amount of ISO settings to worry about, even when taking photographs in dim lighting. In other worst, this is a great option to use for most beginning photographers.
- Built-in 5 axis image stabilization for sharper images
- 2.3 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder with 0.62X magnification
- Silent mode (disables all shutter sounds)
- 8.5 frames per second burst shooting
- Focusing points/Focusing points selection mode 81 area multiple AF (Contrast detection AF), 37 area multiple AF (Phase difference detection AF); All target, group target area (3x3 area), single target (Standard target size/small target size)
4. Nikon D5600
Parents looking to use a great user-friendly camera could consider the Nikon D5600. The Nikon D5600 has a bunch of interesting features to look into, so let’s get started!
One of the major advantages of the Nikon D5600 is its user-friendliness, making it a wonderful choice for beginners. It does not weigh a lot, which makes it very portable and much easier to use than the average professional camera.
The Nikon D5600 has some outstanding touch screen functionality as well. The interface is very intuitive and is easy to operate, even for parents who haven’t worked with many digital cameras in the past.
One of the final marvellous features for parents is the low price of this option. Cameras can be a considerable investment, and as a parent you often need to spend a lot on supplies for the kids. So, why not save money and still capture those treasured photographs with a much cheaper option?
There aren’t many disadvantages to the Nikon D5600, but if we would have to mention one, it would be the low autofocus sensitivity. Even though there is an autofocus on this device, it is not as advanced as some of the more expensive models out there. That being said, the Nikon D5600 certainly makes up for that in overall functionality.
- 24.2MP DX format CMOS sensor
- Expeed 4 image processor
- 3.2 inches 1.037 meter dot VARI angle touchscreen
- Full hd 1080p video recording at 60 fps
- Snap bridge Bluetooth and Wi-Fi with NFC
5. Canon 70D
Not all compact and affordable cameras for parents provide a waterproof feature; this can be bothersome, especially when you want to take some pictures outside. However, there are options out there that are still affordable and are waterproof. One of those options is the Canon 70D, a reliable and affordable choice from one of the largest camera manufacturers in the world.
The Canon 70D is not just a wonderful option for family photography, it has been named as a great option for newborn photography. There are many features that make this a popular option, but the features that stand out most is the seamless blend of sensor and processor abilities.
As these two components work really well together, parents can count on sharp images with stunning natural tones and outstanding colour gradients. This particular camera even scores well in environments with poor lighting. And all of that at a really low price!
Considering the lower price, many parents are surprised to learn that this camera provides built-in Wi-Fi too. In other words, you can upload these photographs to the cloud or to your tablet or smartphone without any issues!
- 20.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
- 19 point cross-type AF System
- Up to 7 fps shooting
- ISO 100-12800, expandable to 25600
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast focus in live view and video
6. Nikon D7200
Nikon manufactures some amazing options for camera photography. Another possible option is the Nikon D7200. Interestingly, this is not a DSLR, which many of the recommended options are, but a mirrorless option packed with features!
The Nikon D7200 stands out from many options out there, especially given the many features it comes with. Mirrorless camera options are not exactly known to have the same premium functionality as DSLR, but in this case, that assumption would be very wrong.
With a Nikon D7200, you certainly have a durable option for family photography. The camera has an ergonomic design, which is easy to handle and operate at any given time. On top of that, it comes with additional protection against dust and moisture, ensuring this particular camera is suitable for photography indoors and outdoors.
Of course, parents want a little more than just the basic features. Fortunately, this is something you get with the Nikon D7200. The color reproduction of this camera is simply amazing and it comes with a large capacity battery too. The battery is so good, you can easily take thousands of photographs with just a single battery charge. Not many other models are able to do this without forking out professional camera prices!
With the Nikon D7200, we need to mention the dynamic APS-C matrix too. The matrix provides you with features such as the quick phase autofocus, viewfinder, and image quality that could rival results obtained from professional equipment. So, don’t mistake the cheaper price for less features, because the Nikon D7200 would most certainly prove you wrong.
- Class leading image quality, ISO range, image processing and metering equivalent to the award winning D500
- Large 3.2” 922k dot, tilting Lcd screen with touch functionality. Temperature: 0 °c to 40 °c (32 °f to 104 °f) humidity: 85 percentage or less (no condensation)
- 51 point AF system with 15 cross type sensors and group area AF paired with up to 8 fps continuous shooting capability
- 4k ultra hd and 1080p full hd video with stereo sound, power aperture control, auto ISO, 4k UHD time lapse and more
- Built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy connectivity through the Nikon snap bridge app
How To Choose The Perfect Camera For Family Photography?
Now that we have discussed many potential options and some of the features they have, it is time to form a conclusion about what makes a good family camera.
Choosing the features can be easier for parents, as you are looking for the perfect combination of features for a comparatively affordable price. In this overview, you have plenty of options from the top brands without having to break the bank. The only question you have to ask yourself is which features mean the most to you. Of course, since there can be price variations, your budget could play a role in your selection too.
When selecting a family photography camera, be sure to take into consideration the quietest option as well. While this may not matter as much for older children, newborn photography can benefit greatly from a quieter camera. Fortunately, cameras have become less noisy over the years and this certainly applies to some of the cheaper options out there.
While we have mentioned user-friendliness many times, we do need to stress that you do not necessarily have to choose a camera that is suitable for beginners. Some parents may have significant experience with photography and do not need the easiest option out there.
If you do not have much experience, it is usually best to go for a camera with less complicated features, which delivers photographs without needing much input from the photographer. However, if you do have experience, why not choose a camera that does have a bunch of features and can deliver some remarkable results with your input? After all, you could end up with some images you could not get without that extra functionality!
Finally, do not hesitate to compare some of the models you are considering. If you are on the fence about your new camera, you can easily visit your nearest retailer and ask for a demonstration. Discuss the pros and cons with an experienced member of staff to determine the best option for you.
Of course, if you do not want to place your trust on a retailer, you can always check some of the reviews online. By looking at our overview for example, you get an instant look of the most viable options with their benefits as well as disadvantages, so you always know what you are buying!