With 4k video becoming more popular than ever, it is no wonder that people are updating their storage devices and micro SD cards to cater for 4K video. A micro SD card of 64gb can hold approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes of 4K footage. Of course, this is not the only thing to consider. So, let us take a closer look at all the things to consider when you purchase a 4K micro SD card or use another SD card for your 4K video purposes.
How big is a 1 hour 4k video?
4K video is a lot larger than 1080p video. In fact, 64gb would allow up to 5 hours of 1080p footage and only 1 hour and 20 minutes of 4K footage. The large difference in size can be explained by framerate, as 4K video requires 375 MB for a minute of footage at 30 frames per second.
How much storage do I need for 4k video?
An hour of 4K video requires approximately 110 gb of storage; this translates to 2GB a minute. Evidently, since more space is required compared to standard video footage, you must take this into consideration when you purchase a 4k SD card. Remember, your memory card must accommodate for the larger 4k video size.
How much 4k video can 256gb hold?
It really depends on the memory card you have obtained. For example, Samsung offers a 256GB memory card, claiming to provide the space for twelve hours of 4K video.
The reason why the Samsung micro SD card 4K can contain more than average SD cards is its V-NAND technology. It has a reading speed of 95 mbps and a write speed of 90 mbps.
Of course, cards such as the one offered by Samsung can come with quite the hefty price tag. The average cost of the card described is $250, but it does accommodate for the storage of footage at your desired resolution.
How much 4k video can 128gb hold?
The average 128gb SD cards can storage 4.5 hours of 4K footage. One again, tis can vary depending on the brand you buy and the technology used by that respective brand, as explained in the Samsung section earlier. Also be sure to check the mbps writing and reading speeds for the best possible option.
How To Choose The Best Card For 4K Video?
There can be times when choosing the right card can be extremely confusing, especially when you have countless brands and specs to choose from. So, how do you start selecting the right card for your camera?
When you purchase a card for your camera, don’t forget that you do not need the most expensive version. While it may be tempting to go for the most expensive option, a simple 64gb option could be enough for your needs already. Simply evaluate how much recording time you really require and find out what you would need based on that.
Searching around a bit and comparing prices could certainly prove beneficial too. By searching around a bit, you can find the best price-quality with a little bit of research.
In addition to the overall capacity, do not forget to look at other things such as write speed. It is not enough to only look at the amount of minutes of 4K footage that can be added to the card, it is also necessary to look at read and write speed. So, to find the perfection option for you, look at a combination of available minutes and speeds.
What Are The Best SD Cards This Year?
As 4K video is becoming more popular, SD cards are evolving as well. So, which are the most reliable brands where SD cards are concerned?
Samsung is still considered as one of the best when it comes to SD cards. They offer a variety of capacities, which means there is something for each budget. That being said, high capacities can be really expensive. Nevertheless, Samsung tends to provide some of the more affordable options compared to other brands.
Sandisk is another brand that could be an option for your SD card. The brand is known for its superior writing and reading speeds; this with an average of 95 and 90 mb/s respectively.
On the downside, Sandisk can be more expensive compared to other brands. Still, if you are willing to invest more, then Sandisk is a great choice. They are more reliable than most brands out there and their quality could be considered as superior.
If you cannot afford the high prices commonly associated with Sandisk and Samsung, you could look at Lexar as well. Lexar is not as widely known as Samsung and Sandisk, but they do provide decent enough quality.
We must mention that there can be a significant price difference between Lexar and other brands, so Lexar will be cheaper in most cases. However, there have been reports of inconsistent performance with Lexar products. So, even though you may save big where price is concerned, it is recommended to put in some extra research before you purchase from this brand.
Finally, you could also choose Kingston, a storage brand that is relatively well-known. Like the other brands, they offer various capacities at variable prices, so you are bound to find something that fits your specific requirements. However, please remember that Kingston is best for action cameras.
- Up to 160MB/s read speeds to save time transferring high res images and 4K UHD videos (2); Requires compatible devices capable of reaching such speeds
- Up to 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting; Requires compatible devices capable of reaching such speeds
- 4K UHD and Full HD Ready with UHS speed class 3 (U3) and video speed class 30 (V30)
- Rated A2 for faster loading and in app performance
- Built for and tested in harsh conditions: Temperature Proof, Water Proof, shock Proof and x ray Proof
- IDEAL FOR RECORDING 4K UHD VIDEO: Samsung microSD EVO Select is perfect for high res photos, gaming, music, tablets, laptops, action cameras, DSLR's, drones, smartphones (Galaxy S20 5G, S20 5G, S20 Ultra 5G, S10, S10 , S10e, S9, S9 , Note9, S8, S8 , Note8, S7, S7 Edge, etc. ), Android devices and more
- ULTRA FAST READ WRITE SPEEDS: Up to 100MB S Read and 60MB S Write Speeds; UHS Speed Class U3 and Speed Class 10 (Performance May Vary Based on Host Device, Interface, Usage Conditions, and Other Factors)
- BUILT TO LAST RELIABILITY: Memory Card Is Also Water Proof, Temperature Proof, X Ray Proof and Magnetic Proof
- EXTENDED COMPATIBILITY: Includes Full Size Adapter for Use in Cameras, Laptops and Desktop Computers. Operating Voltage-2.7 3.6V
- 10 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: 10 Year Limited Does Not Extend to Dashcam , CCTV, Surveillance Camera and Other Write Intensive Uses
- Incredible speeds in a microSD card officially licensed for the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems
- Spend less time waiting and more time playing with read speeds up to 100 MB/s and write speeds up to 90MB/s
- Instantly add up to 128GB (1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes. Actual user storage less.)
- Store your downloaded games, screenshots and video captures in 1 place so you can travel light.
Now that we have provided a good overview of the options, there are only a few things to remember. Firstly, never look at capacity alone, but look at a combination of writing speed, reading speed, capacity and price. Also, it is a good idea to do some brand research before you choose a particular option, as some brands are more reliable than others.
As with all things that require some investment, it is a good idea to do your research. So, spend some time familiarising yourself with some of the tried and tested cards before you make a decision.